The Golden Globe Awards have introduced two new classes ranging from its 2024 version. As per a Variety report, these are for field workplace achievement and greatest stand-up comedy on tv, respectively. (Also Read: Golden Globe Awards 2023 full checklist of winners: RRR wins Best Original Song for Naatu Naatu)
Box workplace achievement
The standards for the Golden Globe for Cinematic and Box Office Achievement embody:
- Films should have grossed a minimum of $150 million throughout launch.
- $100 million out of the entire ought to have come from the US field workplace.
- Streaming movies with good viewership from “recognised industry sources.”
- Eight movies to be nominated.
- Films nominated on this class may also compete within the Best Motion Picture Drama or Comedy class.
However, the web wasn’t too impressed by this addition. Several customers took to X (previously Twitter) and expressed disappointment. One wrote, “Cinematic and Box Office Achievement”? Why don’t they simply name it Best Popular Movie’s class precisely ? You know the one which acquired cancelled by The Academy. (pondering emoji).”
Many called it a category created only to honour Greta Gerwig’s adaptation of Barbie. The Ryan Gosling and Margot Robbie-starrer grossed over $1 billion at the global box office. A user wrote, “a category just for barbie (laughing with tears emoji).” Another wrote, “Cinematic and Box Office are kind of antithetical to each other but at least it will be Barbie, Oppenheimer, Spider-Verse, Super Mario and Mission Impossible.” “Just for Barbie.. okay,” wrote a third one.
Best stand-up comedy
The criteria for Golden Globe for Best Performance in Stand-up Comedy for Television are:
- Outstanding work from a comic in a traditional stand-up format.
- Or as a breakout comic in a troupe or ensemble.
- Comedy specials must air on broadcast, basic and premium cable, streaming and pay-per-view cable.
- Projects must have a recognized distributor.
- Individual social media accounts will not be eligible.
Again, the internet wasn’t too happy with this new category either. One user posted, “How the hell is anyone gonna give out the award for best stand-up performance? There’s no standard on what makes something properly funny at all. I don’t trust this isn’t gonna be used really poorly.” Another wrote, “For an organization already prone to controversy, I don’t know if creating a category where Dave Chappelle and Louis C.K. are the biggest names is the greatest idea for them.”
Source web site: www.hindustantimes.com