But the 36-year-old believes he’s the fitting man to open the batting on this yr’s Ashes tour regardless of scoring only one Test century over the last three years.
«I’ve always said I’m playing to 2024; if the selectors feel that I’m not worthy of my spot, then so be it, and I can push on to the white-ball stuff,» Warner advised reporters at Sydney Airport. «I’ve got the next 12 months, a lot of cricket’s ahead for the team and if I can keep scoring runs and putting my best foot forward for the team and I can help my spot, it’d be great for the team.
«It’s straightforward pickings [for critics] if you’re 36 happening 37. I’ve seen it earlier than with the ex-players as effectively. So for me if I’m taking strain off the remainder of the opposite guys, and nobody’s worrying about the remainder of the staff, I’m completely satisfied to do this.»
When asked if Warner was still in Australia’s plans for the five-Test tour of England in June, Australia selector Tony Dodemaide declined to commit to the aggressive left-hander.
«We’re apprehensive about what we are able to get out of those remaining two Tests [in India], clearly that is a transparent focus for us in the intervening time,» Dodemaide said on Wednesday.
«We’ll handle the Ashes planning [at a later time], however we’re dedicated to choosing one of the best match and out there gamers for Test collection, significantly one thing as huge because the Ashes.
«That’s not a question that we’ve addressed so far. We are very keen, as everyone I’m sure at home would be, for us to get something out of this remaining series.»
Source web site: www.espncricinfo.com